Deciding whether to join TMUG The best way to become familiar with TMUG is to come to our meetings and give us a look. Guests are welcome! After you've had a chance to see what we're about, we hope you will join us. Below is some more info on TMUG that may help you decide.
- Meetings are held every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 6pm until 9pm at the University Medical Center, 1501 N Campbell. The "Mac OS/iOS Tips and Programs" session for Beginners meets from 6 pm to 7 pm. The "Ask the Experts" Q&A session meets at the same time. The general meeting starts at 7 pm. For more details on our meetings, click here.
- Annual dues for regular membership are $30. The dues are only $20 for students and part-year residents or $45 for family membership.
- Member benefits:
- Meetings The monthly TMUG meetings provide
- Interesting and educational Mac- and iOS-related presentations and demonstrations.
- A place for you to make face to face contact with other Mac and iOS users and local Mac/iOS professionals to ask questions and get help.
- Super Raffle: To promote attendance at our monthly meetings, each year, each current member attending a monthly meeting will receive one ticket to our yearly Super Raffle of an entry-level Mac. Thus a member may receive as many as 12 Super Raffle tickets in a year. Raffle tickets for each meeting must be filled out and deposited in our raffle-ticket box by the end of that meeting.
The winning Super Raffle ticket is drawn in March from all the tickets collected at the regular meetings of the previous year. The winner need not be present to win but must still be a current TMUG member.
The prize for the Super Raffle is either (1) an entry-level Mac computer, or (2) $1,000.
- Monthly raffles for Mac- and iOS-related items such as printers, hard drives, cameras, software, iTunes gift cards, and books and manuals.
- Free raffle tickets: One per attending member, one per TMUG-logoed item you wear, and one for each friend you bring.
- A "freebies" table where you can recycle your unwanted Mac/iOS items or pick up someone else's unwanted treasures for free.
- TMUG Forum Members are eligible to have an account on the TMUG Forum, an online community of Tucson-centric Mac and iOS users who discuss all sorts of Mac- and iOS-related topics as well as selected non-related topics, for example, buy and sell, recommendations, etc.
The forums cover all of Apple's products- Macs, iPods, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, iTunes, accessories, and services.
Here is a list of some of the topic areas in the TMUG Forum:
- Deals on equipment and software.
- Training, tips, techniques, and recommendations.
- Mac OS X and predecessor OS's.
- Hardware and software operation and troubleshooting.
- Computer networks (wired and wireless) and the Internet.
- TV & video on the Mac: Apple TV, TV-related hardware & software, and video editing.
- iPhone, iPod, iPad, apps, phones, and VoIP.
- TMUG Compendium of Special Deals In addition to the public, Apple-related bargains sites on the web, TMUG receives private notifications of limited-time/limited-quantity bargain pricing on Apple items, and we post these in our members-only Special Deals forum in the TMUG Forum.
Some of the recent deals posted include:
- Special pricing and discounts on O'Reilly books.
- Special pricing and discounts on Peachpit Press books.
- Apple-User-Groups-only deals on books and magazines, training materials, accessories, hardware, and software. (Password protected; selection changes monthly.)
- Pointers to good deals on Applecare.
- Special prices on software and training materials directly from the publishers; for example VMware.
- Info on best RAM prices, sources for repairs, and TidBITS training ebook discounts for user group members.
- Web Site TMUG runs a web site that provides information about TMUG meetings and membership, a list of reputable, local Mac/iOS consultants, links to recommended Mac- and iOS-related web sites, TMUG contact information, portals into the TMUG Forum and other information and services.
- Additional Member Benefits
- $5 off your dues for each new person you refer and who joins.
- Through the generosity of Simutek, Tucson's local Apple Specialist, each new member will receive a discount card for up to $40 and each renewing member will receive a discount card for up to $20, good toward the purchase of any item in the Simutek store; one discount per year per card, no credit for partially used discounts.
- Each new member will receive a copy of a TidBITS Take Control e-book (choose between "Switching to the Mac" or "Upgrading to the current Mac OS X version" (whatever the latest is)). (Courtesy of TidBITS Electronic Publishing).
- Member discounts at local computer retailers (on 11/18/12: Simutek, Cartridge World).
- The process of joining
- To join, you can print and mail our Membership Form (124 KB pdf) with your membership fee
(checks preferred) to:
P. O. Box 43176
Tucson, AZ 85733-3176
- For membership questions, email our membership administrator at: email@example.com.
Membership forms are also available at meetings, and dues may be paid there as well.